This cookie recipe is a great one to follow if you want to make some basic butter biscuit dough because the way that it turns out depends on what you want it to! I have used this recipe to make ghost shaped cookies before for a Halloween party, bell and candy cane shaped cookies for Christmas, and now these adorable Twinkle Twinkle Little Star cookies – perfect for a galaxy party or little boy baby shower!
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon milk
2 cups icing sugar
1 – 2 tablespoons water
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line two baking trays with baking paper.
2. Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla essence with an electric mixer until soft and creamy. Add egg and beat further until combined. Add in sifted flour and baking powder, mix, and then add in the milk. Continue to stir and you can even use your hands to create a soft ball of dough.
3. Using a rolling pin and some more plain flour, roll your dough out until it is 1 – 2cms thick. Use your cookie cutter and cut the dough to the desired shape, putting the cut cookie onto the baking tray 2cms apart from each other.
4. Bake for 10 – 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool complete.
5. While the cookies are cooling, mix the water and icing sugar together to create a thick fondant. Pour in the desired food dye to create the colour that you are aiming for and ensure it is well mixed.
6. Use a knife or a spatula to transfer the fondant to the cookie top and spread evenly and as neatly as possible. Add any additional decorations to the cookie now, such as edible glitter or edible pearls. Leave to the side for fondant to dry and harden completely before serving.
And there you have it! It’s super simple to make and super delicious. Let me know what style of cookie you made using this recipe – I know the Confetti Fair magazine made a beautifully ornate feather cookie for an Indian party using this recipe, so you really can make anything you want to!