My husband and I have recently started watching the hit series Breaking Bad (I know! I know! We are way behind everyone else!) and while it’s a steady paced good show it was only fitting that soon after we began watching it I discovered the existence of Baking Bad – the parody baking book by “Walter Wheat” that specialises in Breaking Bad themed cakes, such as Jesse’s Jell- O Acid Bath, Mr White’s Tighty Whitey Bites and rock candy meth.
While I don’t condone and endorse taking drugs, and advertising and having a Breaking Bad themed party might attract some unwanted attention, I was hilariously taken with these blue meth cupcakes and thought I would share them with you. This way, you can gobble them down while having a viewing party. Enjoy!
100g soft butter
100g superfine sugar
2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
100g self-rising flour
Blue food colouring
1-2 tbsp (15-30ml) milk
125g soft butter for the icing
250g icing sugar
1-2 tbsp (15-30ml) milk
Yellow food colouring 1 and 1/2 cups white sugar for the candy shards 1 cup water 1 tablespoon lemon extract for flavouring (if desired)
1. Preheat the oven to 180 Celsius and line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper cups.
2. Put all the cake ingredients except the colour and milk into a large bowl and beat until light and fluffy
3. Add blue colour little by little until the mix is a strong blue.
4. Divide the mix into the paper cups.
5. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until well risen, golden brown and firm to the touch. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes, then transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely
6. While the cupcakes are cooling you can make the icing by beating the butter in a large bowl until soft. Gently add half the icing sugar and beat until smooth
7. Add the remaining icing sugar with a little milk, adding more as necessary to make a light fluffy icing
8. Add the yellow food colouring little by little and mix until well combined
9. Spoon the icing into a piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle and pipe swirls onto the cupcakes
10. Next, focus on creating the blue meth candy to go on top. In a medium saucepan, stir together the white sugar, corn syrup, and water. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until sugar dissolves, then bring to a boil. Without stirring, heat to 149 to 154 Celsius, or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms hard, brittle threads. 11. Remove from heat and stir in flavored extract and food coloring, if desired. Pour onto a baking paper lined cookie sheet and put it in the fridge. 12. Once hard, remove from the fridge and use a tool to break the candy into smaller shards. Sprinkle on the top of the iced cupcakes and serve.
And there you have it – a much more healthier (but probably just as addicting!) snack to watch Breaking Bad to. Enjoy!