Welcome to the very last post in the Wizard Wednesday series! I hope you’ve enjoyed it more than my little wizard Buddy enjoyed posing for the photos, but I have to say that it has been an absolute delight to work through the wondrous little book I stumbled across in a backwater bookshop in Hanapepe, Kauai. If you would like to pick up a copy of the book for yourself you can shop online here and become privy to some amazing ideas that I have not included. I just wanted to mention as well that while my inspiration and ideas have drawn directly from this book, the writing and communication is my own interpretation.
To finish up, this Wizard Wednesday is more of a homage to my readers in America, who are travelling through Autumn as we speak to land in a magical Winter wonderland. The very last Wizard Wednesday presents: A Magical Winter Revel.
It’s time to let sleeping wizards lie…
When putting together the decorations for your party, focusing on the wonders of winter is the best way to go. Create a crystal cave by cutting out white snowflake patterns out of cardboard and then using a hole punch and some twine to hang them from the roof. You can even make a hanging decoration where the snowflakes fall in a line down from the roof. Put fairy lights up to cover the roof, and blanket the rest of your venue in icy hues of pale blue and white. Hang icicles, glittering snowballs and other handy Christmas style decorations up and you will have the instant winter wonderland that Merlin craves!
Making glitter snowballs would look excellent in a clear plastic bowl sitting on your dessert table!
white craft glue,
craft sticks and foam meat trays
polystyrene foam balls of various sizes
tinsel stems or glitter tubes
hot glue gun
1. Cover your work station with paper and mix some white craft glue with an equal amount of water in the disposable cup. Stir with a craft stick.
2. Pour the glitter tubes into the meat tray for easy access. Use a paintbrush to coat the foam balls with the craft glue mixture and then roll each ball into the glitter in the foam meat tray. Set the ball aside to dry completely before using as decorations. Adorable!
Making Perfect Snowflakes:
Practice makes perfect when it comes to snowflakes, so the first one might not ever turn out right, but not to worry! Soon you will have a blizard of snowflakes for your decorational disposal.
First off, start with a square sheet of paper and take one corner of the paper and fold it diagonally to the opposite side making a triangle. Crease the fold with your fingernails and trim the excess to set aside. You can make smaller snowflakes this way.
Fold the triangle in half again and crease the side again. Next fold the triangle into thirds and fold a point over to the opposite point once again.
Use the scissors and trim the points that are sticking out. Next use the points of the snowflake and cut diagonal triangles out along three sides of the triangle. If you use hole punches you can create some designs in the snowflake. Unfold the snowflakes and then make some more!
Whilst your guests are having a wonderful time, you can break out telling the future with tea leaves, which is an ancient Chinese sorcerer to predict the future. create yourself some tea with actual tea leaves and pour your guests a cup. Drink the tea and then leave a little liquid in the bottom of the cup so that the leaves can be swirled around on the inside of the tea. Swirl the leftover tea clockwise around in the cup three times and the turn the cup upside down to place on the saucer. When you remove the cup, you will be presented with your tea leaves forming certain shapes. Some of the symbols and their meanings are:
- Balloons – troubles are ending
- Bell – good news
- Book – wisdom
- Castle – money
- Chair – a guest
- Circle – frustration
- Cloud – doubt
- Dog – a good friend
- Flag – a warning
- Heart – love
- Key – an opportunity or discovery
- Knife – a misunderstanding
- Snake – an enemy
- Square –protection
- Star – success
You can find heaps more meanings online if you want to print out a few and serve them up to your guests to read. Fun!
Supposedly, or so the wizard says, if you make these North Star cookies when the star Sirius, the planet Saturn, and the sun all appear in the sky at the same time, they will float away. Lucky for you, this only happens about once every six billion years!
North Star Cookies
1 and 1/4 cups castor sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
1/4 teaspoons salt
1 and 1/3 cups flour
1 and 1/2 cups ground walnuts
2 cups icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees celsius. In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla extract.
2. In a seperate bowl, mix the lemon peel, salt, flour and walnuts. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in several stages, blending well until combined.
3. Use glad wrap or plastic wrap to cover the dough ad refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
4. Once removed from the fridge, roll the chilled dough to a thickness of 3mm thick and then cut the cookies out into a star shape. Put in the oven and bake until golden brown (8 – 10 minutes) and then cool on a cooling wire rack.
5. While cooling, mix some icing sugar with butter and vanilla essence or create a fondant roll similar in thickness. Cut the fondant into the star shapes, or roll the icing sugar onto the cooled cookies before sprinkling with icing sugar as dusting or even sprinkles.
Delicious! Now just make sure they don’t fly away!
So there you have it, some wonderful ways you can hold your own magical wizard Winter revel! This also brings us to the end of Wizard Wednesdays. At the end of the wizard’s magical book reads;
“One more thing, and this is important. Our magic is always stronger when we gather together with our friends and family. So why wait any longer to show them how special they are to you? Get your house elf to start writing those invitations now!”
– The Book of Wizard Parties
If you have one of your own magical wizarding parties, don’t forget to show it to me! You can email me at email@example.com or post some photos in the comments below! Now, I better let my wizard Buddy have a rest and get some sleep… he’s all plum tuckered out from all the wizard parties!
xx Bippity Boppity Boo! xx