Martha Stewart is a God amongst the party and baking community in America (For Australians, it’s Donna Hay) and seeing photos of her gift boxes everyday on the internet where I work I have developed a soft spot for a particular picture that features sugar cookies in the shape of buttons. Never being one to shy away from delicious and adorable recipes, I thought I would gather it for you faithful readers! So here it is, enjoy these cute as a button cookies!
* 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour, plus a little more for work surface
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
* 1 cup granulated sugar
* 1 large egg
* 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
* 1 teaspoon flavouring essence
* food coloring
* Sanding sugar for sprinkling
1. Whisk together flour, salt and baking powder
2. Mix the butter and granulated sugar in a seperate bowl and mix that until it is pale and fluffy
3. Add the egg and vanilla and any flavours you like and mix well.
4. Add the original flour mixture together with the wet ingredients and mix well so no lumps appear.
5. Cut round shapes with a cookie cutter.
6. Add an inner ring by gently pressing a glass into dough. Poke four button holes into each cookie with a skewer, and bake.