Photo by Gala Darling
Cupcakes are my favorite thing in the world and I am just so lucky that my fiancee happens to be an amazing cupcake baker, but this recipe I took from Miss Gala Darling, an amazing blogger who is all about photography, fashion and radical self-love. You should check her out because you could get lost in all the fun dreamy creaminess that is her website!
This is my favorite recipe and I just had to share it all with you. There are many variations, but this one is apparently from the magazine Australian Womans Weekly, but Ive taken the details from Gala Darling just to give Gala the awesome snaps she deserves!
125g butter, softened
3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
1 1/2 cups (225g) self-raising flour
1/2 cup (125ml) milk
1. Preheat oven to “moderate” and place cupcake cases in a muffin tin.
2.Beat butter & sugar in a small bowl with an egg beater until light & fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Stir in flour & milk, in two batches.
3. Now you can add in whatever you like — “Gala” usually added baking cocoa, but you could put in raw cacao, rosewater essence, coffee flavouring, or whatever. Beat until combined.
4. Spoon into cupcake cases. Bake until cake is cooked — this means you stick a knife into one of your cupcakes, & if it comes out clean, they’re done. Take them out of the oven & allow them to cool. Do not frost them until they are completely cool!
125g butter, softened (or margarine etc.)
A big bag of icing sugar
1 tablespoon of milk
1 teaspoon lavender extract
1. Combine the butter, milk & icing sugar until it is thick enough that it won’t drizzle out of the end of your icing nozzle. It needs to be thick.
2. Add food colouring & flavour. My favourite things to add is lavender essential oil or lavender extract, but of course you can really make it taste like anything you want.
3. Spoon your icing into an icing bag, or if you don’t have one, spoon it into the corner of a (clean) plastic bag & snip off a bottom corner. Ice, ice baby! Frost your cupcakes with gay abandon.
And there you have it… my favorite cupcake recipe! I love to add some extra sparkle on top by adding some edible glitter. I get all of my edible glitter from the awesome party supply store Pink Frosting.